"In a different world" series with Hololens 2
Microsoft HoloLens 2 is a fully self-contained holographic computer that runs on Windows 10. It aids to collaborate in mixed reality. There are currently 3 different Hololens 2 offerings from an hardware perspective:
- HoloLens 2 for 3500 USD - It comes with the HoloLens 2 device, protective carrying case, overhead strap, USB-C charger and cable, and one-year warranty.
- HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition for 5950 USD - It comes with the HoloLens 2, ISO 14644-14 and designated ISO Class 5.0, UL Class I, Division 2 certified, rapid replacement program,, and two-year warranty.
- Trimble XR10 with HoloLens 2 for 5199 USD - It comes with the HoloLens 2, UL Class I, Division 2 certified, hard hat integrated, and noise-cancelling audio output.
From an application standpoint, Microsoft introduced the below:
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Guides: This application allows an author to create step-by-step holographic instructions for operators to follow. That way, organizations can minimize operational risk, reduce the occurrence of mistakes as well as be more efficient. Use cases in the manufacturing industry are for example onboarding and upskilling the workforce with reduced downtime and increased speed - especially in regards to complex and business critical production tasks/skills such as machine maintenance or work orders. Another use case in the educational industry however could be learning-by-doing guides what allows students to learn from anywhere with holographic instructions and assessments - especially beneficial in industries with highly complex manual processes such as dentistry.
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Remote Assist: This application allows a worker to use heads-up video calls to share real-time views. This way a worker can receive instant guidance from an expert located remote that is using either also Remote Assist or simply Microsoft Teams. Use cases in the health care industry are for example a next level of patient treatment e.g. health care professionals can access remote experts for surgeries and/or call up critical patient data such as ( MRI or X-Rays) while having hands-free.
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Layout: This application allows for example an architect to show physical designs from concept to completion with confidence via mixed reality. (Note: will be discontinued and transitioned to Guides by 12/31/2021 - See Layout Discontinuation | Microsoft Dynamics 365)
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Product Visualize (In preview): This application allows your organization to showcase large and highly customizable products in a real-world environment. On the one hand, it drives collaboration between engineers but also helps for example creating a shared understanding between buyer and seller in the sales process - especially for highly customized and complex products.
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Import Tool (In preview): This application allows you to import your 3D models (CAD/CAM) into your applications for use with the Dynamics 365 Layout HoloLens app for example. (Note: Dynamics 365 Layout will be discontinued and transitioned to Guides by 12/31/2021 - See Layout Discontinuation | Microsoft Dynamics 365)
- Microsoft Mesh (In preview): This application allows you to connect with colleagues and co-create in real time via avatars with Mesh. That said, your organization can connect and engage with eye contact, facial expressions, and gestures literally in the same room as well as can collaborate on a shared 3D model while being remote - what is very important in a work environment where work from home is the norm.
I personally got my hands on the Hololens 2 development edition - So, over the next coming months, I will introduce you in the world of mixed reality with Hololens and show how you and your organization can drive efficiencies, reduce operational risk and drive your digital transformation to the next level.